Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Hermitage and Russian McDonalds



We had a half day at school on Wednesday. I walked the 25ish minutes home for lunch. My host mommy had гречка, сосиски and салат ready for me on the table. I ate it really quickly and headed out to meet the group at the Hermitage. It took me about an hour to walk there considering it is on the other side of the island (You didn't know that St. Petersburg is made up of islands did you)

My delicious lunch

The Hermitage from the outside

I took a lot of pictures of the art in the museum. Here are some of my favorite pieces:
The beautiful walls when you enter

The first staircase upon entering







A statue of a man holding up a head without a body






The Greek section was especially one of my favorites with it's portraits of everyday Greek life and statues of warriors








So I heard that McDonald's is actually different in Russia and perhaps even better quality. So after the Hermitage I asked my new friend if she would like to go give it a try. 
They have "шримп ролли" or "shrimp rolls" 

The lunch menu

"Happy Meal" (haha) 

Despite the Russianized American names for all the food ("Heppy meel" in Cyrillic instead of "счастливая еда"), Vika and I decided not to get anything because we couldn't 
give in to eating fast food despite it's popularity (it smelled exactly the same as in the states and it was making us noxious) 


No comments:

Post a Comment